Strawberry Avocado Salad
Mess Level: Low
Yield: 2 Servings
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: None
- 4 Cups Mixed Greens
- 1 Cup Strawberries
- ½ Cup Almonds
- 1 Avocado
- 2 Tablespoons Feta Cheese (Optional)
- ¼ Cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Honey (Or 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar)
- 2 Tablespoons Grapeseed or Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- To make the dressing in a blender - Combine the honey, vinegar and ½ the Tablespoon of black pepper in a blender Turn on the blender and slowly drizzle in the oil until it is emulsified. Chill in the fridge until ready to serve.
- To make the dressing in a mason jar - Warm the honey for 7 seconds in the microwave. Add the vinegar, oil and black pepper. Shake vigorously and chill for a few hours so the dressing will be thicker and the flavors can meld. Shake well before serving.
- To make the salad toast your almonds in a dry pan over medium heat, just until they are lightly browned. If using whole almonds give them a rough chop.
- Thinly slice the strawberries and the avocado. Reserve a few pieces for garnish.
- Combine the mixed greens with the avocado, strawberries, and almonds. Toss with just enough dressing to lightly coat it. Garnish with feta, black pepper, strawberries, and almonds. Enjoy!
Did You Make It? Tag Us!
What about substitutions?
- Go nuts!
Mix up the nuts, add or omit the cheese, change out the greens, you could even mix up the dressing. I will say though, keep the avocado and strawberry together, they’re meant to be!
Ramblings of a Line Cook
With the hint of summer in the air and the strawberries going on sale one cannot help but began dreaming about all the good food that comes with the warmer weather. I’ve been thinking about a strawberry and black-pepper pie that I had last year. It was delicious! The black pepper was a surprise with every bite and I absolutely loved it.
And while I would never willingly pass up a pie for some salad, this one is packed with so much goodness the greens are really more of an afterthought. The fatty avocado is really what makes this… It brings together the tart strawberries and the balsamic vinegar, it balances the bite of the black pepper and counters the crunch of the almonds.
Now about this dressing… Honey, balsamic vinegar, and black pepper? Probably one of my favorite salad dressings ever. It would also make a great marinade for chicken or pork (Just go easy on the sweeteners, they burn on hot pans/grills). Now I included two ways to mix this dressing, the first is in a blender which allows you to really emulsify the dressing. It is the best way to do it.
However, the place we currently live at in Utah has a tiny, tiny kitchen and no dishwasher so I am often loath to dirty the blender when I don’t need to. But to make it in a mason jar you’re going to want to warm the honey a little bit or it will never combine with the vinegar. But then your dressing is a pretty runny consistency so I recommend after you shake it to combine, chill it for at least an hour so the honey can thicken back up. The thicker dressing stays on your lettuce leaves so much better which is really the whole point of a salad, isn’t it?
But no matter which way you make it, you will love, love, love this salad! It’s great eaten on the couch in your sweats, or served with crystal glassware for a fancy dinner party. Whatever the occasion, this salad rocks!