Mess Level: Low
Yield: 8 Servings
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: None
- 2 15oz Cans Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans)
- 2 Stalks Celery
- 1 Small Shallot
- ½ Small Bunch Cilantro
- ¼ Cup Fresh Lemon Juice (1-2 lemons)
- ¼ Cup Olive or Grapeseed Oil
- Salt to Taste
- Finely dice the shallot and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the lemon juice and allow to sit for at least fifteen minutes.
- Finely dice the celery and mince the cilantro.
- Add the chickpeas to the bowl and toss to coat in the lemon juice.
- Add the celery, cilantro, oil, and salt. Toss well to combine.
- Taste and adjust as needed.
- Store in the fridge for up to a week. You may serve immediately but they are best eaten after they’ve marinated for a few hours.
Did You Make It? Tag Us!
- Vegan: Yes! This dish is naturally vegan.
- Gluten Free: Yes! This dish is naturally gluten free.
Meal Prep: Follow these steps if you want to prep ahead of time:
- Complete the entire recipe and store in the fridge for up to a week.
- Perfect for wraps, salads, and bowls, or just digging in with a spoon.
Do I have to Use a Shallot?
A shallot is just a fancy onion right???
You may substitute a small amount of finely chopped onion in its place.
Can I substitute different beans?
When garbonzos are all gonzo use this instead...
Yes, I would recommend cannellini or northern white beans as a good substitute.
I Do Not Like Cilantro, What Else Can I Use?
Pass the parsley to the left-hand side...
Parsley would make a great substitute, but you can mix this up with any herb you’d like! Fresh thyme would be amazing.
Ramblings of a Line Cook
We served these chickpeas on top of a kale salad in one of the kitchens I worked in. The salad sold pretty well but it was the staff who put a real dent in them. That is my barometer for when something is truly good, is when the staff can’t get enough of it.
Using freshly squeezed lemon juice is really what makes these amazing. These chickpeas taste like summer has come rolling into your kitchen, graced these chickpeas with her light and flavor and then breezed on her merry way.
I cannot get enough of them, Tony cannot get enough of them, and when the menu changed the staff truly felt as if they had not got enough of them. Fortunately, for everyone, they can be made in twenty minutes in one bowl and then they just sit happily in the fridge awaiting the hour that you go rummaging.
Speaking from experience these are extremely satisfying to open up the fridge to when I usually end up settling for some hastily carved chunks of cheddar on crackers or a can of peanuts. Do yourself a favor and whip up a batch of these chickpeas to have on hand. Your future self will thank you.